SilverCart Forum

We moderate this Forum and we're here to help. Have you already run a forum search to check if your problem has already been solved?

You can help us helping you by providing detailed error messages, screenshots and logfile entries.

SebastianRamon

Page: 1
Topic Call-time pass-by-reference has been removed 3757 Views

Call-time pass-by-reference has been removed

15 April 2013 at 7:54pm Last edited: 15 April 2013 8:09pm

Hi,

I just wanted to test silvercart and had a good impression from what I saw on your website. I came across silverstripe a few years ago and know that this is a not-so-bad framework in the php world.

However, trying to install silvercart the first thing that happened was the furios
Call-time pass-by-reference has been removed - error - which is fatal in 2013 and really should not be an issue for any serious php application, the depracation warnings started years ago!

Could you please remove these call-time pass-by-references in your code?

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.references.pass.php

Thank you very much!
Bughunter

Re: Call-time pass-by-reference has been removed

15 April 2013 at 10:43pm

Hi Bughunter,

it's not only in SilverCart, but also in the SilverStripe core and in some other 3rd party modules.

We won't fix that for the current SilverCart release, since we are working on SilverCart 3 for SilverStripe 3.

Cheers
Ramon

16 April 2013 at 2:18pm

This is unbelievable - PHP 5.4 is live on many servers - publishing code in 2013 with incompatibility for 5.4 is such a self-destruct, you must be sleeping. Wake up!

You are distributing code that does NOT work - and on top of this you say "we not gonna fix it for some bureaucratic reason". This is a double-fail - how can one hurt his own business more?

And, what is even more irritating, this is not a massive code refactoring thing, you just have to remove a few ampersands here and there and add a few of them to some function definitions, run your tests and voilá - anybody who knows his code can do that in less than one day, maybe two hours.

This is crazy. However, it gives a remarkable impression of your business attitude and your views on code quality. Anybody considering using your software and putting a dependency on you will definitely stop at this point.

I do not think, that any company releasing disfunctional code and saying "we wont fix it" can survive very long. OK, maybe apple, google an microsoft can do, but are you already there?

well, good luck!

Note: I write this not because I want to complain - I am trying to wake you up. You might be able to occupy an interesting business niché, most php web software is stil as primitive as 2000-web-frickl or extremely bloated and not accessible easily for extension developers.

But what you are doing right now, is of course business suicide - it would be better to make an announcement only website and not distributing broken code at all until new version is ready.

Think again!

Bughunter

16 April 2013 at 5:08pm

Hi Bughunter,

again, this has nothing to do with bureaucratic reasons. There is no way we can get this fixed for the SilverStripe 2 core and other modules we rely on - we just don't have control over it.

And we won't ride a dead horse any longer, since SilverStripe 3 is already out.

But you may be right about publishing code for free, maybe we should rethink that part of our business model...

Cheers
Ramon