SilverCart Forum

We moderate this Forum and we're here to help. Have you already run a forum search to check if your problem has already been solved?

You can help us helping you by providing detailed error messages, screenshots and logfile entries.

SebastianRamon

Page: 1
Topic HTML Free Text Widget? 2045 Views

HTML Free Text Widget?

14 October 2013 at 5:30pm Last edited: 14 October 2013 10:18pm

Hi,

How can I easily extend or maybe modify by means of DataObject decoration the Free Text widget to display HTML text instead of the plain text one?

I tried to figure it out on my own, but no success so far.

Any help appreciated :)

thanx in advance
Szabesz

Re: HTML Free Text Widget?

15 October 2013 at 5:47pm

Hi Gábor,

to display the pure text without rendering the HTML you can copy SilvercartTextWidget.ss into your project and change it as follows:

<% if Headline %>
<h2>$Headline</h2>
<% end_if %>
<div class="silvercart-widget-content_frame $ExtraCssClasses">
$FreeText.HTML
</div>

Cheers
Ramon

15 October 2013 at 6:01pm

Hi Ramon,

Is that sooooo easy? Well, SilverStripe rocks :)
I should have remembered this, 'cos I'm sure I used to read about it in the past, but I just forgot this feature. Well, practice makes perfect :)

Thanx a lot!
Gábor

17 October 2013 at 9:31am Last edited: 17 October 2013 9:32am

Hi Ramon,

I'm a bit embarrassed, since your standard SilverCart template should not be overridden at all, as it reads:

<div class="silvercart-widget-content_frame $ExtraCssClasses">
$FreeText.RAW
</div>

And .RAW is what I want, I just have to type and save plain HTML in the CMS, and it renders fine in the browser, as expected.

Looking up the topic of placeholder casting, I do not seem to find .HTML as a valid escaping method. The method .XML should be used I suppose: http://doc.silverstripe.com/framework/en/reference/templates

In most cases .RAW is just fine too, since this input comes from a CMS user we should trust.

Cheers
Szabesz

17 October 2013 at 2:21pm

Hi Gábor,

no big deal, I thought you wanted to display the pure and unrendered HTML for some reason ;-)

Cheers
Ramon