SilverCart Forum

We moderate this Forum and we're here to help. Have you already run a forum search to check if your problem has already been solved?

You can help us helping you by providing detailed error messages, screenshots and logfile entries.

SebastianRamon

Page: 1
Topic Special requirements for project [ datamodel ] 8070 Views

Special requirements for project [ datamodel ]

11 July 2012 at 4:00pm

I'am going to build a shop, wehre I will sell items in categories that can have a high volume on different variations.

e.g.

I sell shirts, hoodies, caps and so on. These are my categories.

In my category shirts I will have different items, such as
shirt-A, shirt-B and so on (different vendors and styles).

Now one of these shirts (items) can have 8 different colors, the next one maybe 20. This should be a product variation.

Now the point comes where I get stuck.

For this shirt (item with product variation) there can be 2.000+ logos.

Logos could also be items again in different categories as sports-logos, nature-logos and so on.

This item logo can have a few product variations again.
(eg. printing-type, printing-color)

Or probably better, each printing-type can have variations as printing-color again.

Since I know the underlying silverstripe and it's framework sapphire are extendable I'am interested in doing this with silvercart.

Could you give me some point where to start, or some help about this.

Re: Special requirements for project [ datamodel ]

11 July 2012 at 7:26pm

Hi emil_blume,

this sounds like a perfect task for SilverCart because this is exactly what we have created SilverCart for.

If the process to pick and customize one of your products is so complex, a wizard with several steps might be a good solution. (Step1: Choose your shirt, Step2: color, step3: logo etc). Or even better, a configurator with live preview. I am sure there are other great solutions if we only think about it for some time.

The main issue is to figure out a great way for the client to pick one of the 2000+ Logos. Here you will need something like a live filter for the categories of the logos.

Maybe you want to check what we developed for our client Walber Schuhe. Not quite perfectly what you need, but closely related to your problem.

However, what you ask for is rather complex and is far beyond the scope of support we can provide for free in this forum.

You'll most likely be better off if you concentrate on developing and promoting your business and hire us to develop your online store. Our prices are reasonable, if you give us some more input we'll be happy to send you a quote (free of charge, no obligation).

Cheers
Ramon

18 July 2012 at 1:20pm Last edited: 18 July 2012 1:41pm

Hi Ramon,

thanks for you're answer. I'am choosing silvercart just because it's extendable and a stable solution for this.

Unfortunately I'am currently unemployed (you will know the german badword "Hartz-IV") so there is no money for professional consulting and I have to do all by myself.

If you could give me some other recommendation or advice to get this thing done, it may result in a quarterly free T-Shirt subscription for you! ;)

An for sure I will promote and link silvercart & pixeltricks in the footer on every shop page.

19 July 2012 at 8:49pm Last edited: 19 July 2012 8:50pm

Hi emil_blume,

I understand your situation and we try to give the best support we can. However, we cannot offer complete walkthroughs. If you have specific questions that can be answered without writing a umpteen page turorial, we love to help you out.

Maybe you want to make up your mind about the process first and start to draw some wireframes how the customer should be guided from t-shirt via logo to the final checkout.

After this is done, you can think about the technical implementation and start asking specific questions ;-)

Cheers
Ramon