SilverCart Forum

We moderate this Forum and we're here to help. Have you already run a forum search to check if your problem has already been solved?

You can help us helping you by providing detailed error messages, screenshots and logfile entries.

SebastianRamon

Page: 1
Topic DataObjectManager and sortable Products? 4146 Views

DataObjectManager and sortable Products?

23 August 2013 at 9:40am Last edited: 23 August 2013 10:11am

Currently I'am evaluating SilverCart and according to the documentation admins should be able to custom sort Products, maybe with the help of DataObjectManager?

On the doc site Userbase->Features it reads:
"Product and manufacturer administration / Drag&Drop reordering"

On the page called Getting and setting up SilverCart:
Module "DataObjectManager"
"It adds nice functionality to object management via the storeadmin and it even looks good :) You have to install the DataObjectManager to use SilverCart."

DataObjectManager seems to be installed fine, since I installed the SS with SilverCart version and I can even see the SortOrder table in the SilvercartProduct MySQL table.

The "only" problem is, I cannot find it being used anywhere. In the "storeadmin", there is no sign of a DataObjectManager table, where I could sort the products, and I cannot even find a single "new DataObjectManager" object instantiation in the source code.

Where is DataObjectManager used and how? Am I missing something?

Thanx in advance
Gábor (alias szabesz)

Re: DataObjectManager and sortable Products?

23 August 2013 at 1:43pm

Hi Gábor,

we do not use the DataObjectManager for managing the Products in the storeadmin anymore. The reasons is that it became quite unusable with large amounts of products (one of our client has >400.000).

But we still need this module for tasks like file-uploading.

Cheers
Ramon

23 August 2013 at 2:13pm Last edited: 24 August 2013 6:36am

Hi Ramon,

Thank you for the reply.

As the system still uses DataObjectManager, does that mean that we can expect it to be part of SilverCart in the future too?

I'm thinking of using it's tablefield instead of ComplexTableField, because I need custom sorting. Our website is not going to have more than a 200 items and they need to be sorted reflecting the order they are stored in the actual storage room for easy and fail-safe collecting when the order is being fulfilled.

So as long as SS 2.4.x is used by SilverCart do you recommend using DataObjectManager's tablefield in my ModelAdmin extensions (on a tab, of course...)? Besides being slow when using it with thousands of items, do you have any more concerns about it?

BTW, is it ok to install SilverCart on SS 2.4.11? Your docs are updated to 2.4.9 but not to 2.4.10. I guess the answer is yes, because not too much is changing in the 2.4.x line, but I jast want to make sure :)

Cheers
Gábor

26 August 2013 at 8:51am Last edited: 26 August 2013 4:36pm

Hi Gábor,

performance with huge DataObjects sets was the only issue with the DataObject-Manager. Other than that, it works great.

SS 2.4.11 should be no problem. Just make sure to update the Zend Framework classes. They used to be outdated and contained a mean bug that was fixed quite some time ago in the Zend Framework. This is why we ship the complete version with updated Zend Classes.

Cheers
Ramon

26 August 2013 at 9:41am

Hi Ramon,

Thanx again, especially for the Zend Framework update warning!

Cheers
Gábor