SilverCart Forum

We moderate this Forum and we're here to help. Have you already run a forum search to check if your problem has already been solved?

You can help us helping you by providing detailed error messages, screenshots and logfile entries.

SebastianRamon

Page: 1
Topic Fresh install, a few problems 13463 Views

Fresh install, a few problems

7 September 2012 at 4:34am

Good afternoon.

I am brand new to SilverCart but from what I have seen so far it is just what I am after.

Ok so I downloaded the full package 1.3 including silver strip from the website and installed it.
This worked no problems.

I then began to populate the cart with 'test data'. This seemed to put the products and groups into the system as it states. But this is where my problems start.

1. Nothing shows at all on the home page. I was guessing that it would show just as it does on the demo.silvercart.org page. Is there something special that I need to do here?

2. When going to change the product group on a product, I click on the 'Product Group' under the product groups section on the product (Paypal). When I click on it, the select list is empty, and the name that is currently there 'Payment Modules' turns to a number, in this case 33.
2.a when I create a new product group, it doesnt appear in this area either.

Those seem to be the only problems I am having at this point.

3. When I go to add a product directly into a product group (done via the tree under 'pages'), I fill out the form and save the form. But when it saves is states
"Fatal error: Call to undefined method stdClass::write() in /srv/credaro.local/www/public/silvercart/code/products/SilvercartProduct.php on line 1935"
I had a look at the line, and its this

public function saveLongDescription($value) {
$languageObj = $this->getLanguage();
$languageObj->LongDescription = $value;
$languageObj->write();
}

Sorry to bombard, I just would like to know if I have not done something right, or forgotten to do a setting correctly.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Matthias

Re: Fresh install, a few problems

7 September 2012 at 8:09pm Last edited: 7 September 2012 8:11pm

Hi Matthias,

thank you for your feedback. We hope that SilverCart is just right for you.

The problems you described seem to be the result of incomplete test data, especially language specific data. In some cases the initialization of demo data and example settings can hit the PHP memory_limit or max_execution time. Since this action takes part in the background, only a small warning occurs for a few seconds and this can easily be overseen.

I suggest you try to setup the database again after checking the PHP memory_limit (should be at least 128 MB, more is better) and the max_execution time (should be 60 seconds). You also may want to have a closer look to the PHP and Apache error logs to see if there are any hints. Most problems can be identified by consulting the logfiles. PHP and Apache are quite verbose and very helpful in finding system related showstoppers.

If this does not work out, we can have a short look at your system.

Cheers
Ramon

10 September 2012 at 12:16am

Hey Ramon,

Thanks for the reply.
I did as you suggested below and did a fresh install and set my php settings to 120 and 256mb how ever i still get all the same problems.

Before I did the test data I also tried adding a product group and then a product via the products tab and the groups still did not appear.

And I have nothing in my error logs..

Not sure what I have done / doing wrong.

Thanks
Matthias

10 September 2012 at 12:15pm Last edited: 10 September 2012 12:16pm

Hello Matthias,

regarding issues nr. 1 and 2:

If your locale is set to e.g. "en_NZ", you need to set the fallback locale in the backend accordingly.

You can set the fallback locale in the section "Configuration: General configuration" in the tab "General"->"Main".
Make sure that "Use default language if no translation is found?" is checked and choose "English (New Zealand)" from the dropdown field "default language".

I hope this will fix your locale issues; if not we need to have more information about or access to your installation.

You can send sensitive data directly to my email address "skoehler [at] pixeltricks [dot] de".

regarding issue nr. 3:

Products shouldn't be managed in the "CMS:Pages" section since the Silverstripe 2 backend doesn't allow enough nesting and behaves weird.

I just published SilverCart 1.3.1 which removes the possibility to edit products via the "CMS:Pages" section. Instead a link to the "Products:products" section is provided.

Just download the new version and create new products in the section "Products:products" (see the documentation).

All the best,
Sascha

11 September 2012 at 2:21am

Hey Sascha,

I have done the update as you mentioned below. Thanks for the update on that one.

Ok, still having troubles with changing product groups / adding products to product groups.

I have uploaded a video of what I am seeing, hopefully it helps
http://credaro.amped.im/Untitled%201.avi

11 September 2012 at 9:34am

Hi Matthias,

from the video I can't really say where this error comes from, my best guess would be a locale issue on installation.

Can you send me a database dump of your project via email?

Greetings,
Sascha

30 January 2013 at 12:39pm

I'm having exactly the same problem with Product Groups, and have followed the instructions provided in the posts above.

Could it be anything to do with me choosing "English (UK)" as my language at the time of installation?

30 January 2013 at 3:27pm

Hi prag,

I assume, you chose "en_GB" as your preferred locale, i.e. English (UK).

There is some kind of "chicken-egg-problem", that results in different locales for SiteTree and Products.

To solve it, edit /silvercart/_config.php" and add the following lines before installing SilverStripe / SilverCart

i18n::set_locale('en_GB');
Translatable::set_default_locale("en_GB");

After you have made these changes, you can start the installation and everything should work as intended.

This behaviour occurs, because SilverCart creates default records during the installation process and does not know your choice of the SilverStripe default language and therefore assumes "en_US". After installation however, SilverCart is aware of your "en_GB"-choice and creates new products accordingly. Since en_US and en_GB don't match (pun not intended), your installation seems jinxed.

Cheers
Ramon