SilverCart Forum

We moderate this Forum and we're here to help. Have you already run a forum search to check if your problem has already been solved?

You can help us helping you by providing detailed error messages, screenshots and logfile entries.

SebastianRamon

Page: 1
Topic Tracking inventory per variant value 20878 Views

Tracking inventory per variant value

12 September 2013 at 11:52pm

Is there a way to configure SilverCart to track inventory at the variant value level?

For example suppose I have 10 red Air Jordans and 15 blue in stock. It is stored in SC as a single product entry. Is there a way to track inventory per color?

thanks!

Re: Tracking inventory per variant value

13 September 2013 at 6:45pm

Hi Contigo,

basically we have two options:

a) early access to our product attribute module + some glue code to adjust it to your needs
b) customizing the existing product variant module

With the product attribute module you can assign attributes to a product (like color, sizes, storage capacity, clock speed etc) and link them to a 'master product'. The master product behaves like a product group holder and assembles all the products that have this particular product set as master. Imagine it's like an additional hierarchy level. The advantages of this solution are: cheaper to implement and you can assign product images to each variant (since they are 'full' products anyway). The attributes can also be used as a filter: show me all blue shoes in size 46. A similar filter in action: http://www.dynamic-billard.com/en/products/pool-billiard/billiard-tables-pool/pool-billiard-tables-7ft/

Drawback: depending on the amount of products and variants this may require more work to edit the products, because each 'variant' is a product. Common data however, like the description, can be pulled from the master product. We'd get you started here and provide the code snippets you need to set it up in the template.

The product variant module is more complicated (that's why we have developed the above mentioned alternative) and adding stock tracking requires coding-kung-fu....

Cheers
Ramon

20 September 2013 at 3:23pm

Thanx Ramon,
I'm gonna need this feature in the future so I'm going to keep your suggestion in mind :)

16 January 2014 at 9:41pm

Thanks Ramon. I think Option A would be great. I agree that inheritance of certain attributes from the master product should reduce much of the added admin labor.